Marijuana Tax Reports

About the Reports

The Marijuana Tax Reports show state tax and fee revenue collected monthly as posted in the Colorado state accounting system. Tax revenue comes from the state sales tax (2.9%) on marijuana sold in stores, the state retail marijuana sales tax (15%) on retail marijuana sold in stores, and the state retail marijuana excise tax (15%) on wholesale sales/transfers of retail marijuana. Fee revenue comes from marijuana license and application fees.

""
Historical Report

Excel

PDF

Tax Revenue by Calendar Year

2021  $327,371,798 (Jan - Sep)

2020  $387,480,110

2019  $302,458,426

2018  $266,529,637

2017  $247,368,473

2016  $193,604,810

2015  $130,411,173

2014    $67,594,323  (Feb - Dec)

Tax Revenue to Date

2021  $1,922,818,751  (Jan - Sep)

2020  $1,595,446,952

2019  $1,207,966,842

2018     $905,508,416

2017     $638,978,779

2016     $391,610,306

2015     $198,005,496

2014       $67,594,323  (Feb - Dec)

Tax revenue collections started February 2014.

Marijuana Tax Graph

Marijuana Tax and Fee Revenue Summary

These reports summarize total monthly marijuana state tax and fee revenue. 

2021

January Excel, PDF

February Excel, PDF

March Excel, PDF

April Excel, PDF

May Excel, PDF

June Excel, PDF

July Excel, PDF

August Excel, PDF

September Excel, PDF

2020

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF

September Excel, PDF

October Excel, PDF

November Excel, PDF

December Excel, PDF

2019

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2018

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2017

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2016

January Excel, PDF 
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2015

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2014

January (Revenue collections began in February 2014)
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

State Sales Tax 2.9% 

These reports summarize total monthly state sales tax (2.9%) revenue from marijuana stores monthly by county.

Retail marijuana is exempt from the state sales tax starting July 1, 2017. 

2021

January Excel, PDF

February Excel, PDF

March Excel, PDF

April Excel, PDF

May Excel, PDF

June Excel, PDF

July Excel, PDF

August Excel, PDF

September Excel, PDF

2020

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF

September Excel, PDF

October Excel, PDF

November Excel, PDF

December Excel, PDF

2019

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2018

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2017

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2016

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2015

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2014

January (Revenue collections began in February 2014)
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

State Retail Marijuana Sales Tax 15%

These reports summarize the state's share of the monthly state retail marijuana sales tax (15%) revenue from retail marijuana stores by county. The state's share is currently 90% of the total tax revenue. The remaining 10% of the total tax revenue is distributed to local governments. 

From January 1, 2014 - June 30, 2017, the state retail marijuana sales tax was 10%. The state's share was 85% of the total tax revenue. The remaining 15% of the total tax revenue was distributed to local governments. 

2021

January Excel, PDF

February Excel, PDF

March Excel, PDF

April Excel, PDF

May Excel, PDF

June Excel, PDF

July Excel, PDF

August Excel, PDF

September Excel, PDF

2020

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF

October Excel, PDF

November Excel, PDF

December Excel, PDF

2019

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2018

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2017

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2016

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2015

January Excel, PDF
February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

2014

January (Revenue collections began in February 2014)

February Excel, PDF
March Excel, PDF
April Excel, PDF
May Excel, PDF
June Excel, PDF
July Excel, PDF
August Excel, PDF
September Excel, PDF
October Excel, PDF
November Excel, PDF
December Excel, PDF

""

Have a question or a data request related to this page?

Contact Us